Date:      Sun, 28 May 2000 00:49:27 EDT
From:      "John Daniels" <jmd526@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        imp@village.org, jhb@freebsd.org, otterr@telocity.com
Subject:   Re: Kernel making problems

Hi:

Warner Losh writes:
>In message
><Pine.BSF.4.21.0005272028160.26845-100000@schizo.cdsnet.net> Jaye
>Mathisen writes:
>: Wasn't there just a big to-do wrt to 4.0 (then -current), about the
>: right way to do things is to install a new kernel, then build the
>: world?
>
>Yes.  That was needed for a while since the new binaries produced
>code the olkd kernel couldn't execute.

I am no expert, and I haven't really followed this thread, but wasn't it
recommended to:
       make buildworld
       make and install new kernel
       make installworld
when upgrading 3.4 to 4.0?

Otherwise, (as per the handbook) the order is:

       make buildworld
       make installworld
       update /etc and /dev (and optionally /stand)
       make and install new kernel

Also: FYI, www.freebsddiary.com shows an ordering that puts the /etc and
/dev updates (via mergemaster) *AFTER* making and installing the kernel.
(I'm not sure if that is correct procedure, or if it matters, but it differs
from the handbook)

John