Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 21:14:10 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Soft update code looking very stable

After a lot of heavy testing in the last five days, And the discovery
of a mis-commit in the -current tree, It appears that the
soft-update code is stable enough for wider testing.

This is not to say that it is ABSOLUTLY correct,
but it is faster than the  current FS in SYNC mode and SAFER than
it as well. The resolution of the current hickups will just make
it MUCH safer.

to test it you need a very current (read TODAY) snapshot of
-current and the files from:

http://www.freebsd.org/~julian

I have also been runing it today in testing together with the
DEVFS/SLICE options, and the we seem to have removed the
incompatibility between those two options as well.

:-)

julian