Date:      Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:05:10 -0400
From:      Erin E Conn <econn@nc.rr.com>
To:        "R. B. Riddick" <arne_woerner@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rebooting problems with /dev/cxm0

R. B. Riddick wrote:
> --- Erin E Conn <econn@nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Maybe your hardware configuration is more stable... I did not try it again (I
> have more than 64 days of uptime now... (-:), but I am still quite sure that
> this "dd" command with a block size of 1 byte crashed the box almost
> immediately.
>
> Did you select a channel before doing the test?

Yes, in fact the dd command fails  complaining that the device has not
been configured if I do not set a channel first.

>>> Furthermore the power saving features should be disabled in
>>> my box, I think (I did not test it thoroughly - at least whenever
>>> the power saving started the box crashed, when I read from
>>> /dev/cxm0 at that time)... :-)
>>>
> Do you still have the problem with spontaneous crashes/reboots after some
> minutes? Have you checked your BIOS settings about power saving stuff?

It crashes before any of my power saving features have time to kick in.

>>> Since I split the reading from cxm0 and transfering to hard disc (partially
>>> via network) in two processes, that use 8 or about 8 buffers (each 2MB
>>> or about 2MB), I do not have this problem (61 days uptime... :-)) And
>>> each day at least 3h of reading from /dev/cxm0 - at most days much
>>> more: 6h or so).
>>>
> I wrote a little C program, that uses "fork" (for creating another process) and
> "mmap" (for getting shared memory for inter process communication). But most
> likely this is not needed in your case, since there is no big latency, when u
> write to ur local harddisc.
>
> I could send u the two C programs (one for gathering+marshalling and one for
> demarshalling.

Thanks, those might be helpful.

>>> Maybe that helps (e. g.: just try to do "dd if=/dev/cxm0 of=/dev/null bs=1m
>>> count=1000").
>> How are you splitting the reading into 2 processes, and are
>> you able to watch live TV using this method?
>>
> And for how long could you do this test? I mean: If it crashed every 2-5
> minutes with "cat", when does it crash, when you use "dd"?

Interestingly, using dd, the computer did not crash, but the X server
dumped core and restarted,  which killed the dd process since I was
running it in an xterm. Trying it from the console to see if that makes
a difference. It crashed after about the same amount of time as cat did,
  using a blocksize of 1m.

-Erin