Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2017 22:50:16 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
Cc:        Dave Horsfall <dave@horsfall.org>, FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SF mastersites

> On 28 Oct, 2017, at 22:18, blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com> =
wrote:
>=20
> @MarkMillard
>=20
> Thank you for explaining that. Like you said there's lots of stuff =
that's
> just not documented. How should I know that I should check the man =
page for
> Makefile? I appreciate the help with that at least I'll be better =
informed
> in the future.
>=20
> Things like that should be in the porter handbook as subsections or
> something.

Not in the Porter's Handbook, but the FreeBSD Handbook has a whole page =
about manpages: =
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/basics-more-inf=
ormation.html

Makefiles are written in make(1) syntax, but used only to execute other =
FreeBSD commands and utilities; it simply wouldn't be practical to list =
the manpages for each of them in the Porter's Handbook. FreeBSD works =
very hard to maintain manpages for nearly every utility, conf file, and =
important procedure.

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger