Date:      Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:20:43 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        "Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Francisco Reyes" <freyes@inch.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Did not forget you

Young writes:

 > Thanks Francisco
[elided]

 > >If you get the file from a windows box you can put it in a floppy and
 > >then mount it
 > >
 > >/root>mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt
 > >
 > >don't forget to make sure /mnt already exists..
 > >mkdir /mnt
 > >
 > Well I stumbled across a newbie-friendly way of doing that too :)
 > I didn't realize there was a BSD version of the linux "mtools" package
 > but once I found that I don't need to use that mount insanity much.

You know, your constant carping and complaining about the design
of Unix, particularly the mount command and its options, is
getting to be a little tedious.  In my part of the world it is
considered extremely rude to complain about something in the same
breath that you request people to go out of their way to help you
with that something.  It is also rude anywhere in the world to
describe someone as insane when you have not even met them.  I'm
talking about the someones who designed the Unix operating
system, if that is not immediately obvious to you.  Additionally,
if you want Unix to behave like Windows of any flavor, I would
suggest that you might want to consider running Windows of that
flavor.

As for the mount command, I invite you to learn something about
Unix that might give you a clue about why the mount command works
the way it does (and maybe gain a little appreciation for the
depth of thought which went into its design): Investigate suid
programs and the security holes they represent.  Then stare hard
at your navel and think about an arbitrary user with physical
access to a machine and the ability to mount an arbitrary
removable direct access device with a ufs file system on the
medium.  Get it?  When you do, we might be interested in hearing
about your design for a mount command which preserves security
yet gets rid of the perceived "insanity".

FYI, mtools predates Linux even being a gleam in Linus' eye.

[log file deleted]
--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790