Date:      Tue, 23 Apr 1996 21:48:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intelligent Debugging Tools...

On Tue, 23 Apr 1996, Amancio Hasty Jr. wrote:

<1 thru 7 removed as I'm working on those ones>

> 8. Compile a kernel with kgdb so that when the system crashes you
>    can hopefelly pop into the debugger and send us a stack trace.

	I have the kernel compiled with DDB & DODUMP enabled, so that
I get dropped to ddb and can do a trace...I send them out and get told
its a hardware problem and then they seem to drop off the face of the
earth :(

	Is it also a hardware problem that prevents me from getting
a coredump after issuing 2xpanic at the ddb> prompt to cause it to
reboot?  My -current machine reboots and drops core so that I can
run kgdb against it, but my -stable machine won't :(

> 9. See if you can get hold of another vga card something like an ISA
>    et4000 based.

	Will add that to my "hardware wish list" for a new machine...if
I can get *one* machine stable, then this won't be soooo frustrating.

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org