Date:      Sun, 04 Jun 2000 02:31:14 -0400
From:      Jim Conner <jconner@enterit.com>
To:        Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>, Troy Settle <troy@picus.com>
Cc:        webmaster@wmptl.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IP vs CNAME

At 11:11 PM 6/3/00 -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
>Troy Settle wrote:
>
> > Oh man...  you like to pick nits.
>
>         The problem is, DNS is just that way. If you don't get it exactly
> right,
>it won't work.
>
> > I didn't think I'd have to go quite so
> > far as to bore everyone with an SOA record.  But since you insist:
> >
> > @       IN      SOA     ns1.isp.net. hostmaster.isp.net. (
> >               2000060401  10800  3600  3600000  86400 )
> >         IN    MX  10   mailhost.isp.net.
> >         IN    MX  20   spooler.isp.net.
> >         IN    NS       ns1.isp.net.
> >         IN    NS       ns2.isp.net.
> > @       IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
> > www     IN    CNAME    webhost.isp.net.
> > mail    IN    CNAME    mailhost.isp.net.
> >
> > Happy now?

He's right.  This zone file as-is won't work.  You have no A names
here!!  Also, it appears you are using version 4.x syntax.  This zone file
would never do for a current version of bind.

You have the origin specified to point to webhost.isp.net.  Unless you have
an A record somewhere in another zone this will not work.

-Jim

>         Nope. That won't work either. I reiterate:
>
> > ** you can't combine
> > ** CNAME RR's and other RR's for the same host.
>
>         Try actually loading up a zone file that looks like that and
> you'll see
>what I mean.
>
> > Actually, I don't use CNAMEs that often, and never realized this.
>
>         So why are we having this conversation? You obviously don't
> understand
>what I'm talking about, and you don't have enough background to be
>disagreeing with me. I'm not trying to be rude, but I hate seeing people
>give bad advice on a public list. Innocent users might be misled.

Today's errors, in contrast:
Windows - "Invalid page fault in module kernel32.dll at 0032:A16F2935"
UNIX  - "segmentation fault - core dumped"
Humanous Beingsus - "OOPS, I've fallen and I can't get up"