Date:      Wed, 21 Sep 2005 09:42:52 +0200
From:      Piotr Smyrak <piotr.smyrak@heron.pl>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome Splashes Remakes

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:02:10 -0300, Fernan Aguero
<fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>  wrote:

> i) I believe that beastie is free to use, you only have to
> akcnowledge the author. But, for a splash screen, this means
> that you should add the acknowledgement on the image, which
> always results in some clutter. I personally don't like the
> results very much (or you have to put so small a copyright
> legend that it is almost impossible to read).

AFAIU the copyright thing here. We are free to use beastie if Kirk
agrees. So what if we put the copyright thing into the EXIF tags?

> ii) beastie may (or may not) be replaced in the near future.

We literally had all FreeBSD GNOME splash screens featuring beastie
AFAIR. Until something else is invented, I believe, beastie will
keep poping up anyway in places where official logo would do. It
still is the only graphical idea that people attribute and associate
with (Free)BSD, and that directly make them think of the project, of
course if they know what it is.

I have to say I really like Bartek's designs, but the last ones
with the flames, put me in doubts. One thing is what I mentioned
in the previous paragraph - the lack of beastie. Due to the
reasoning above I think, we should keep it. The other issue is
burning the GNOME logo.

I guess we had pretty much consensus about not doing frites of
beastie and others, like here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2004-September/008313.html

Anyway congrats to Bartek for his job.

--