Date:      Fri, 20 Apr 2018 10:58:11 -0700
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Freebsd hackers list <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Runaway processes freeze the system

I am getting this problem again and again: when some process allocates
too much memory the system to freezes.

My memory size is 24GB, and swap is only 4GB. I know that increasing the
swap size should reduce the chance of this happening, but it obviously
can't eliminate the problem.

What is the expected behavior of the system in such situation? To me it
looks like it is wait-and-see, and this causes this problem.

A better strategy would be to maybe wait for some time, but if when the
problem persists to kill the largest, the most active, or the offending
process.

11.1 amd64

Yuri