Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:50:26 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.d Is not running anything on boot

	Is there any documentation for FreeBSD that describes in
detail how rc.d works?  I wrote in yesterday and several good
souls on this list answered my question about starting dhcpd
during boot.  I got the FreeBSD port of ISC dhcpd and it works if
started manually using the example script that the port installed
in /usr/local/etc/rc.d.  When booting, however, there is no
indication that any script in /usr/local/etc/rc.d is called.  The
dhcp startup script is the only file there right now and it does
produce something if called.  If called incorrectly, it echoes $0
and exits with an error status.  If called correctly, it starts
dhcpd and produces several lines in syslog.  I don't see anything
except normal bootup messages and all the other daemons starting.

	So far, I have tried installing a /etc/rc.conf.local file
with the following:

local_startup="/usr/local/etc/rc.d"	# startup script dirs.

	That line came right out of /etc/defaults/rc.conf with
the exception that I cropped off the x11r6 directory, but it
doesn't seem to matter either way.

	This system appears to be healthy and all the other
processes do what they should be doing.  Now, if I can just get
rc.d to execute the scripts in it.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group