Date:      Sat, 07 Oct 2000 10:06:41 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_3

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> honorable list members,
> Sorry I have to generate a new msg everytime. Our reverse DNS is a bit
> messed so I cannot post directly from my mailer which resides on a machine
> whose reverse does not resolve - and postfix@freebsd.org dislikes such ;)
>
> I had posted earlier a question on how to upgrade to 3.5.1-STABLE and I
> got the response that I should have the tag RELENG_3. This is the default
> tag in the stable-supfile and I have run cvsup 3 times, even today, but I
> still get..
>
> poeza: /usr/home/wash (4) % uname -a
> FreeBSD poeza.iconnect.co.ke 3.5-STABLE FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE #6: Sat Oct  7
> 19:01:04 EAT 2000     root@:/usr/src/sys/compile/POEZA  i386

This is the version of the last kernel that you built and installed.

> That makes me think that I maybe missing something. I really need to get
> the box to 3.5.1-STABLE, especially in the light of the security
> implications announced today.
>
> My second problem, and which I also posted recently, is that after I
> upgraded from 3.4-RELEASE to 3.5-STABLE, I simply could not run 'mt'.
> I was getting the msg "/dev/rsa0 device not configured" . I'd like to
> withdraw the question, even though I did get a response on it. After
> rebuilding today things worked out...no more errors ;-)

After you cvsup'ed what did you do?  Did you do the make world and
finish up by configing your kernel, make depend, make, and make
install. The make install of your kernel should have changed the
uname.

You also need to run mergemaster to upgrade your /etc files.

Kent

> Thank you all for the valuable advise.
>
> --
> Odhiambo Washington
> Systems Administrator
> Inter-Connect Ltd.
> 3rd Flr The Chancery
> Valley Rd
> PO Box 39519 Nairobi
> Tel: 254 2 711140
> Fax: 254 2 718418
>
> For I dipped into the Future, far as human eye could see; saw the vision of
> the world, and all the wonder that would be. -Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com