Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:36:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
Cc:        core@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Assessing Search Engine Issues

On 28-Sep-00 Jason C. Wells wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, Nik Clayton wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 10:18:50AM -0700, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>
>> It might do, if the benefits outweigh the costs.  The cost, basically,
>> is that the existing mirrors have to be able to duplicate it easily, and
>> it needs to be as simple as possible to set up.  That would basically
>> mean putting the site infrastructure tools in to the ports tree (where
>> they're not already there) and coming up with a list of 7-10 things that
>> a new web mirror has to do.
>
> I don't think the mirrors have to change.  I would rather implement a
> systew where they don't.

Yeah, it was my understanding that the mirrors don't currently have anything to
do with searching the web site or the mail archives. I know that the form on
www.uk.freebsd.org/search certainly just points back to CGI installed on
www.freebsd.org

Any new solution could have exactly the same interface as far as the mirrors
are concerned, all they would have to do is link back to www.freebsd.org (or
search.freebsd.org as Jordan suggested) as they do at present.

Therefore, whatever is implemented to search the archives and web site only
needs to be installed and configured once, on this central server.

> In my mind all of the websites and multinational mirrors stay completely
> unmolested.  All of the various mail archives stay completely unmolested.
> The search host merely searches and indexes and that is it.

I totally agree that none of the mirrors need change anything, but if all of
the searching is done by one central host why can we not change how that
searching is done? And how the archive is stored?

Perhaps having the entire archive in tables in a MySQL server is a good idea,
because of the flexability that SQL would give us. I'm not saying that's "The
Way To Go", I'm just saying that it can be implemented in any way we want.
Subject to that little question of the resources that are available.

Or have I completely misunderstood something? :-)

---
Andrew Boothman <andrew@cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org