Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 13:21:22 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/13644

:
:The "maximum interval to wait for the selection to complete" isn't
:really the maximum, but more like the lower bounds of the time to
:wait for the selection.
:
:Dan Eischen
:eischen@vigrid.com

    It's definitely a maximum, because select() can return much sooner if
    one of the I/O events being waited on occurs.  If you call it a minimum
    you imply that select() will not return until at least the specified
    amount of time elapses, which is incorrect.  Just because it may go
    slightly over the specified time when no I/O events are pending does not
    change anything -- FreeBSD is not a hard-realtime system and programmers
    understand that.  If anyone were to actually get confused by this, they
    have to go back to school.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>