Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 18:31:30 +1000
From:      "Eddie Irvine" <eirvine@tpgi.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ed0 device: Gruesome performance with TCP (more info)

>> There may be some tunable options that will make samba run
>> better on freeBSD as well but I can't help there..
>
>Eddie, why don't you try it?  I'm not guaranteeing anything, but it
>would give us an idea as to whether that's the problem.

Thanks for the input. O.K. - some more info . . .

I have "bought the book" on Samba, and tried the TCP_NODELAY
option, among other socket options in, and they seem to make no
difference.

Come to think of it, I've never tried it WITHOUT the
TCP_NODELAY socket option - I'll
give that a go when I'm at work next.

The thing is, with this ISA ed0 card, ftp (from Macs and W95) and
samba (from W95 only) is very, very slow.
But Netatalk from Macs, and Appletalk from W95 (using COPS
driver) is OK.

With the same config, using a PCI ed1 card as main interface in
rc.conf, everything is just dandy: Netatalk about 20% faster. Ftp
back up to half a meg a second.

So the problem with ed0 is not just samba but seems to be TCP
packets in general. And this collision light going rythmically all the
time when only two machines on the net are working.

Appletalk fine. TCP packets not. Wierd, isn't it? I'm beginning to think
it must be a hardware problem.

Thanks
Eddie.