Date:      Thu, 6 Feb 2003 04:01:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Oleksandr Konovalenko <alexkono2000@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.0 installation, boot: fatal trap 12

Hi!

 During the installation (from CD, I've tried both
mini-disc and disc1) of FreeBSD 5.0 on my laptop
Packard Bell iGO2451 (AMD AthlonXP +1500, 1.3GHz) I've
got following:

cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
pccard0: <16 bit PCCard bus> on vbb0

fault virtual address  = 0xe7fe6
fault code             = supervisor read, page not
present
instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xc00e9eb5
stack pointer          = 0x10:0xc0a8299c
frame pointer          = 0x10:0xc0a8299c
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type
0x16
                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran
1
processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume,
IOPL = 0
current process        = 0 (swapper)
trap number            = 12
panic: page fault
uptime 1s

Note#1, there is only one PCMCIA slot in laptop and it
was empty during the boot.

Note#2, there is no internal floppy drive.

Note#3, No any problem to install NetBSD 1.5.2 or
Linux RH 7.3 with 2.4.20 kernel.

Note#4, I tried to disable some devices in BIOS but it
did not help.

Question: what might be wrong?

regards,
 Alexander K.

######## PS: Hardware specifications (from
http://www.packardbell.se/support/node485.asp):

BIOS v. 1.02

PC Card   Texas Instruments PCI-4410 PC Card
Controller
32 bit PC-Card Bus

Video S3 Savage 4S Video Controller
High-Performance 2D/3D Video Accelerator, integrated
in mainboard.

Sound Realtek ALC201 Audio System
18-bit, full duplex AC'97 2.2 compatible stereo audio
CODEC.

Core VIA Apollo KN133 chipset
200/266 MHz Front Side Bus, Savage4™ AGP 4X graphics
core.

Display LCD 14.1'' TFT XGA
LCD 14.1" TFT XGA

Keyboard and pointing device Synaptics Touchpad
Touch-sensitive control pad.

4-Way Scrolling Button
Multi-directional scrolling function

KME UJDA730 Combo Drive
One drive which can read, write and re-write CD's but
also reads DVD's. 8x DVD, 8x Write, 4x ReWrite, 20x
Read.

Memory Memory iGo 2000 series
    * 1 SO-DIMM Slot
    * Size: 256 MB
    * Type: SDRAM (PC133)

Modem Billionton MDC56S-I Modem
V92 MDC interface modem (Smartlink chipset ref.
HAMR5600-INT)

Network LSI L80227 Network Controller
100/10 Base T Ethernet integrated in VIA VT8231