Date:      Tue, 1 Jun 1999 18:12:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au (Darren Reed)
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dummynet & bridging

> Has anyone run a system using dummynet with bridging in place and running
> at 100MBps ?  i.e. briding two 100BaseT segments running at full speed.
> If so, what sort of performance problems (if any) did you see ?

bridging just throws away unwanted packets before passing through
the firewall, and generally does not make additional copies of the
packets (except perhaps for an m_pullup() which is also needed by
the ip_fw code). So if a given machine can receive at full speed
from one (or more) interfaces, while at the same time send at full
speed on another one, then it can also bridge at full speed.

dummynet overhead is constant per-packet, and i think the biggest part
is the ipfw overhead. I once measured it on an old P90 (with slow
memory) as some 4-6us entry time plus some 0.5us per rule.

	cheers
	luigi

  Luigi RIZZO, luigi@iet.unipi.it  . Dip. di Ing. dell'Informazione
  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/  . Universita` di Pisa
  TEL/FAX: +39-050-568.533/522     . via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)

		  http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/ngc99/
====  First International Workshop on Networked Group Communication  ====