Date:      Sun, 22 Sep 2013 17:56:07 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: The right way to invoke sh from a freebsd makefile?

On Sun, 2013-09-22 at 19:45 -0400, Glen Barber wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 22, 2013 at 05:37:51PM -0600, Ian Lepore wrote:

> > > I think BUILDENV_SHELL is what you are looking for.  For this specific
> > > case, I think instead of '#!/bin/sh', maybe '#!/usr/bin/env sh' may be
> > > preferable.
> > >
> > > Glen
> > >

> > No, BUILDENV_SHELL is a special thing... it's used when you "make
> > buildenv" to chroot into a cross-build environment to work
> > interactively.  I added that long ago because I can't live in a csh
> > shell (I mean, I can't do anything, I'm totally lost), and I wanted a
> > way to have "make buildenv" put me right into bash (of course, you have
> > to have bash in the chroot).
> >

> Ah, right.  Thanks for the sanity check.
>
> > The flavor of hashbang to use shouldn't matter, since what I'm after
> > here is launching the shell to run the script without using the hashbang
> > mechanism.
> >

> You can hard-code /bin/sh directly, but what I was getting at with the
> '#!/usr/bin/env sh' is that the 'sh' interpreter of the build
> environment could be used (instead of /bin/sh directly).  Then you don't
> need to worry about the path to sh(1).
>
> Glen

My point is that the #! isn't used at all in this case, it doesn't
matter what's there.  Try this...

  echo "echo foo" >/tmp/foo
  sh /tmp/foo

Not only does it not need the hashbang, the script doesn't even have to
be executable when you launch sh and name a script on the command line,
which is just what's needed to run a script from a directory mounted
with the noexec flag.

-- Ian