Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 12:13:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Nimrod Mesika <nimrodm@bezeqint.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: permissions problems

Nimrod Mesika writes:
> On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 03:56:33PM +0400, Kostya & wrote:
> > I created a new user, which belongs to group wheel, but when working as this
> > user the system doesn't allow me to
> > -mount cd-rom drive
> 1. Make sure the device file has the proper permissions. For
> example: chmod 777 /dev/acd0c (this will let everyone mount it)

It's probably better to make them mode 550. You don't need execute
permission in any case, and restricting it to group permission allows
you to control who can - and can't - mount the devices.

Also, you have to have own the directory you're going to mount it on,
not just have write permission on that directory.

> 2. Allow users to mount: sysctl -w vfs.usermount=1
> (you can put this into your /etc/rc.local).

If you're running FreeBSD 4.0 or later, you can put this in
sysctl.conf instead. See the sysctl.conf(5) for details.

	<mike