Date:      Sat, 1 May 2004 19:52:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      LukeD@pobox.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RAID card confusing mptable

In reference to the situation I posted about on April 29, I've found a
workaround to the problem.

When I enabled a RAID array in my RAID controller's BIOS, I would get a
"mptable_walk_table: Unknown MP Config Entry 18" panic while the kernel
was loading.  When  I disabled the array, all was fine.  mptable doesn't
even show the problematic mptable entry.

I've found a workaround that will let my RAID card work.  Disabling APIC.
After disabling APIC, the RAID card seems to work, but mptable shows the
bad entry and closes with an MPTABLE HOSED message.

I've read that there are still some open issues with apic, and getting
RAID working is important to me, so I'll just turn off apic and bide my
time.  I have no proof that the apic on my motherboard is any good anyway,
so it may very well be a hardware problem.  I don't know how to tell.