Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2000 00:20:29 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Local changes to the contrib tree(s)

In message <00Sep4.170723est.115265@border.alcanet.com.au> Peter Jeremy writes:
: As an example, given:
: 	/usr/src/contrib/utility/somefile.c
: 	/usr/src/usr.bin/utility/somefile.pch
: the make would start by applying somefile.pch to somefile.c, creating
: /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/utility/somefile.c, which is then compiled.
:
: The downside is that maintaining the patches requires more effort than
: just editing the files in place, though a make target could be created
: to create the .pch file from the patched source.
:
: What do other people think of this?

I find it esthetically displeasing.

It would be less ugly to commit it to
	/usr/src/usr.bin/utility/somefile.c
and control things with Makefile .PATH.  This way it is easy to
generate patches for the maintainer and we don't have to maintain
patch files which is a major major pita.  This is similar to how we do
added files.  These files can come and go w/o any CVS difficulties.
-D still works.  branches still work.  The only cost is a slight bit
of potential confusion with having two copies in the tree.  Sure, this
file would live in the Attic when it is deleted, but we have lots of
files there already.

Hmmm, people importing new versions of the package would need to merge
into this file too, which is also a disadvantage.

Warner