Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:35:44 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@pingpong.net>
To:        Eugene Grosbein <eugen@kuzbass.ru>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 9600 SE & OpenGL?

--On Wednesday, March 17, 2004 13:32:56 +0700 Eugene Grosbein
<eugen@kuzbass.ru> wrote:

> Palle Girgensohn wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any way to get OpenGL working w/ an ATI Radeon SE? I use a fresh FreeBSD
>> 4-STABLE with XFree86-4.3.99. The kernel does not probe anything, dmesg |
>> egrep '(drm|agp|dri)' gives nothing.
>>
>> I guess this card in unsupported? Will it become supported anytime soon?
>> Can I do something to help, besides hacking, which I unfortunately don't
>> have time to. :(
>
> Hi!
>
> It works very well with your configuration. You have to do 2 things
> to get it working:
>
> 1. Add PCI device ID to sys/dev/drm/radeon_drv.c:
> http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-bugs_2003/msg05970.html

Sounds great, only it is a 9600, the patch talk about 9200?

Here's relevant info from pciconf -vl

none10@pci3:0:0:        class=0x030000 card=0xc0041043 chip=0x41511002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
    class    = display
    subclass = VGA
none11@pci3:0:1:        class=0x038000 card=0xc0051043 chip=0x41711002
rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
    vendor   = 'ATI Technologies'
    class    = display

Which is relevant, 0x4171 or 0x4151? Will it work? I'll try it tonight.

> 2. Include device agp and device radeondrm in your kernel configuration
>    and rebuild the kernel.

They are already in there - the kernel still doesn't detect it...  The
correct PCI device ID is not in the driver...

Also, do I need "kldload radeon" when I have

device          agp
device          radeondrm

in the kernel? is radeon.ko and radeondrm same same or different?

/Palle