Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 1999 13:03:05 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgraph new version

Julian--

This all sounds great to me.  I was wondering if you had had a chance to
test performance changes as a result of the structural changes?  I have
not had a chance to look at the implementation, but I look forward to the
chance :).

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Julian Elischer wrote:

> A prerelease version is available at:
> The release version is waiting for 'make world' to work again, so
> We can do our last tests on it. This is substantially production quality
> code, as we have spent a week cleaning and preening.
>
> ftp://ftp.whistle.com/pub/archie/misc/netgraph.tgz
>
> This file includes a USEFUL README file, a tar file of new files and a
> patch file to change existing files.. (including a patch to netstat to
> allow it to report netgraph 'socket' nodes.)
>
> Man pages for all the node types
>
> patches to if_sr.c and if_ar.c compile cleanly and give examples of how a
> sync card should be interfaced..  (if_ar.c is easier to understand) (these
> cannot be tested as we don't have those cards, but the netgraph code has
> been tested with our own proprietary card)
>
> All nodes except the sync cards can be loaded as KLD modules
> however to compile the sync cards in you also need the base netgraph
> module in the kernel.
>
> requires newest version of uipc_domain.c and domian.h
>
> If you want to test it without the sync cards, you can load the whole
> thing into a new kernel as modules and try it from there.
>
> You should read the man pages:
> netgraph(4)
> ng_socket
> netgraph(3)
> ngctl(8)
> nghook(8)
> ng_{other tyes}
>
> probably in that order
>
> The following modules are supplied:
> base - the base framework.
> UI - simple node t add/strip "Un-numbered Information" header (0x03)
> async - do rfc 1662 framing/unframing on a packet
> cisco - 'cisco' hdlc framing and protocol.
> echo - echoes packets back at sender
> hole - blackhole (discard device)
> iface - netgraph node on one side, regular interface on the other
> rfc1490 - rfc1490 frame-relay protocol encapsulation
> lmi - frame relay link management protocol handler.
> frame-relay - frame-relay channel multiplexor/demultiplexor
> socket - netgraph node on one side, socket on the other
> tee - assist debugging by tapping a link
> tty - netgraph node on one side, tty line disciplin on the other.
>
> plus:
> if_sr.c, if_ar.c patches to make these netgraph capable.
>
> ppp - unfinished ppp node
> vjc - unfinished van-jacobson compression node
>
> patches are also available for mpd to allow mpd to run multilink ppp
> into a netgraph socket. (not supplied)
>
> Netgraph is designed to allow quick development of production quality
> modules that can be re-used in such environments as ATM, fram-relay, ppp,
> async-ppp, ISDN.
>
> Each module knows how to do ONE thing. you hook them together to do more.
>
> julian

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/