Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 12:27:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      omnimpotence <rone@ennui.org>
To:        blk@skynet.be (Brad Knowles)
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Let's cool down (was Re: softupdates in latest build?)

Brad Knowles writes:
  At 11:29 AM -0700 1999/9/6, Mike Smith wrote:
  > I'll say it again; read what has already been said.  Most of us are
  > heartily sick of your side of the argument, and you're not likely to
  > get many useful responses while you continue to display basic ignorance
  > of the issues involved.
  	I think I'm beginning to understand the attitude problem that
  Linux advocates have accused the FreeBSD camp of.

Well, you came in and rather undiplomatically and unfairly started
bandying about words like "liability" and "huge security hole" over a
feature that seems not to be the problem you think it is.  Then you
started browbeating people with "Cheswick & Bellovin"; you named the
book in three separate messages!  Are you trying to cow the natives
with your arcane security knowledge?  Simply put, you didn't do much
to endear yourself; the annoyed reaction is not undeserved, i think.

While i agree that "if you don't need it, don't include it" is sound
rationale, by the time you brought it about, you'd already lost your
audience.  The best way to show your point is to demonstrate how the
feature can be exploited.  If you can't do it, then obviously it's not
a major issue.  Please give the FreeBSD's security team the benefit of
the doubt; if they didn't know what they were doing, we wouldn't've
gotten this far.

rone
--
Some philosopher realized that the way to make philosophy into a lucrative
profession was to add the word "Internet" to it -- but made the description