Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 19:05:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Resolving hostnames takes "forever"

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002, at 18:17 [=GMT+0100], Volker Kindermann wrote:

> It's very easy to do this with djbdns. Just
> install the daemontools, then djbdns and configure your machine as a
> local cache (if it's standalone) or an external cache (if you serve a
> network). Instructions are on the webpage http://cr.yp.to
>
> Beleave me, it's as simple as installing something from ports and kills
> all your dns-Problems. You don't need to bother with bind and
> named.conf, etc.

Believe me, Bind is much easier to get running than djbdns. You don't
have to install it at all (it comes with the main system), and it is
not some cluster of interdepending programs. How to start Bind at
boot, and what to config someone else already described today here.
Djbdns may be safer, better, whatever than Bind, it is _not_ easier to
install and get running.