Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 1996 16:53:02 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@HeadCandy.com>
Cc:        Sean Eric Fagan <sef@kithrup.com>, smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix/NT synchronization model (was: SMP progress?)

>But maybe I'm not stating myself clearly. :-) What I'm really after is
>recommendations on where I should look if I want to see how another
>SMP Unix implements synchronization controls.  I just want to find out
>how other people have implemented it.  All I know is Windows NT (SMP,
>not in general, of course), and I want to see a contrasting
>implementation.

Aren't you really asking about thread and process syncronization?  This is
an issue regardless of whether the system is SMP.

I've also only dealt with the NT implementations of critical sections and
mutexes, and unlike the rest of the win32 API, it seems they did a fairly
good job of it (although there are some additional scheduling controls I
wish were provided).

>  Michael L. VanLoon                                 michaelv@HeadCandy.com
>        --<  Free your mind and your machine -- NetBSD free un*x  >--
>    NetBSD working ports: 386+PC, Mac 68k, Amiga, Atari 68k, HP300, Sun3,
>        Sun4/4c/4m, DEC MIPS, DEC Alpha, PC532, VAX, MVME68k, arm32...
>    NetBSD ports in progress: PICA, others...
>
>   Roll your own Internet access -- Seattle People's Internet cooperative.
>                  If you're in the Seattle area, ask me how.

Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations