Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 09:38:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      ambrisko@tcs.com (Douglas Ambrisko)
To:        jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de (Julian Stacey)
Cc:        chapman@miller.cs.uwm.edu, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hylafax 3.0

Julian Stacey writes:

| > Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 21:32:00 +0200
| > From: jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
| >
| > The flexfax software prior to the change over to hylafax used to work
| > perfectly on my FreeBSD machine.  Now I am able to receive faxes fine, but
| > when I want it to spawn a getty it immediately returns.
| >
| > Has anyone out here successfully set-up the data-call for hylafax 3.0.0
| > with FreeBSD 2.0.5?
| >
| > Otherwise, is it possible to get a copy of the prior flexfax distribution?
|
| Mark ,
|
| Jordan Hubbard forwarded me this
| (as I'm maintainer for the Hylafax port on FreeBSD),
|
| I assume your config is wrong, please compare your old & new config
| (you DID save your old config for reference I hope ?)
| Let me know the hylafax fix & I'll upgrade the FreeBSD port kit.
|
| > Otherwise, is it possible to get a copy of the prior flexfax distribution?
|
| I never could get flexfax to work.  Flexfax was abandoned as obsolete,
| the tar files were not on ftp sites, & it was over a year old.

I'm in a similar situation, I was running FlexFax and pre 2.0.5 snap
and everything worked fine with incoming faxes and data connections.  Now
that I've switched to 2.0.5-Release and HylaFax data connects are broken.
What happens is that when getty is spawned the modem disconnects for some
reason.  If I put a shell script around getty and have it sleep for around
10 seconds and then start getty the connection is not dropped and I get
a login, except the controlling terminal does not get set right and I lose
all I/O to the port when getty fires off login.  Also when getty calls
login_tty via HylaFax it bombs when it tries to set the controlling terminal.
Since this doesn't happen when init runs getty, I'm thinking HylaFax is doing
something to the line that getty doesn't like.  I haven't got around to
tracing this out, maybe next weekend.

BTW, my modem is a rockwell based econo-board that work fine under 2.0 with
FlexFax for incoming Faxes and Data connections.  The only thing that was
nasty is that it left the modem in Fax modem, so tip wasn't very happy
when it tried to use the modem.  This is fixed in HylaFax and the new
tip handles modems much nicer now.  So now I have HylaFax, iij-ppp (two
instances) and tip all co-existing and sharing one modem with the only problem
being HylaFax messing up incoming data connections.

Hope this my give somes insight into the problem, also why does the 2.0.5
release package of HylaFax use /usr/local/bin/sed?

Doug A.