Date:      Wed, 6 Oct 1999 15:13:47 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, FreeBSD Documentation Project <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: Style Challenge!

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:07:26PM -0400, a little birdie told me
that John Baldwin remarked

> easier to read.  Some of us are anal about grammar as well.  Not to
> mention that most of us are in the habit of using two spaces after
> sentences, so keeping it at two spaces makes our lives easier.  :)  For
> example, look at my e-mail.  I use two spaces between sentences all
> over the place because that is the grammar that has been ingrained into
> me and several other doc writers since we were in grade school.

Indeed.
I once tried using single spaces at the end of a sentence.  My fingers
rebelled. Looking around:
NSI Invoice: double spaces after period.
Daemon book: double spaces
(note that on printed books it's often harder to tell as the text is full
justified, so spaces aren't a constant size, but I don't recall seeing
any recently that aren't doubled.)

It should also be noted that it hasn't exactly been aeons since I was in
grade school, so it's not like I'm just a remnant of a prior age.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com