Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 14:15:54 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Bob Hall <rjhalljr@starpower.net> types:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2001 at 09:46:37PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org> types:
> > > I think you're looking from your standpoint.  But note that the
> > > average user is also very badly educated about computers.  When that
> > > changes, software will get better than the current Microsoft junk.
> > Unfortunately, that probably won't happen. Even people who are
> > educated about computers and realize that it's junk keep on using
> > it. That's because the cost of converting is so much higher than the
> > benefit of converting. I mean - how many of people really care about
> In addition, the average user is going to become less educated about
> computers. As software becomes more user-friendly, users need to know
> less about computers and therefore people who know less about
> computers become users. The average computer user today knows much
> less about computers than the average user back when the Internet was
> running on TOPS operating systems. Overtime, improvements in
> technology will allow people who know even less about computers to
> start using them, and the average knowledge will decrease even more.

The sad part is that they all accept the instability and inflexibility
of windows as normal for computers.

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@atkielski.com> types:
> > Mouse? Hardly need one unless I'm working with
> > GIMP or playing QuakeForge.
> I've found that the main reason for having a mouse on a GUI is that no other
> easy way to navigate among windows exists.

The keyboard works quite nicely, given proper support. If you don't
like X, check out screen in the ports tree. Emacs provides similar
capabilities if you really want them. Ratpoison is an X window manager
designed to look like screen, though the ports version is badly out of
date; my update to the last release is in PR ports/31038. evilwm is in
the ports tree, and seems equally capable. plwm looks very
interesting, but requires the python x library, and neither are in the
ports tree, though I plan on submitting them soon.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.