Date:      Thu, 15 Nov 2001 08:19:18 -0500
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        "frogger3099" <frogger3099@home.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Computer Crashing after X is open

> I'm using freebsd 4.4 (tried 4.3, it did the same thing)  I'm using GNOME
> 1.4,   I'm using XFree86 3.3.6, my video card isn't supported under 4.1
> yet. If i'm in X for like an hour not being idle and exit everything is
> fine...but like if i idle for like 20 minutes, everything appears to be
> good til i exit out of X then I can't do anything because I get a lot of
> weird characters and don't go back to a console.  A core doesn't get dumped
> either.

How are exiting X?

Have you tried

CTRL-ALT-backsapace
CTRL-ALT-F1
CTRL-ALT-F2
ALT-F1
ALT-F2
CTRL-ALT-DELETE

to see if they do anything?

Once it gets into this "weird state", how do you get control back?
When you reboot the next time does FreeBSD have to recover all the disk
partitions or does it reboot cleanly?

PS: If you group-reply to the the message, then everybody on the list can see
your reply.  I'm happy to help, and I do know something about FreeBSD, but
the knowlege of the group far exceeds the knowledge of any individual within
it, so you'll get more info if you cc: the entire group.