Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 13:25:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      "David G. Andersen" <dga@pobox.com>
To:        matrix@ipform.ru (Artem Koutchine)
Cc:        dga@pobox.com (David G. Andersen), security@FreeBSD.ORG, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antisniffer measures (digest of posts)

Lo and behold, Artem Koutchine once said:

> >   IPsec.  IPsec.  IPsec.  FreeBSD, Linux, Win2k support it.  Don't know
> > about MacOS.  Doubt it until OSX, but I could be wrong.  This is the
> > better solution.
>
> Well, then i need IPSec for WIn9x, NT 4.x and ME too. Is there?

  I don't know.  You're asking on the FreeBSD mailing lists.

> >   A final solution is simply to encrypt all sensitive traffic at the
> > application layer.  Use SSL for http/pop3/etc.  Use SSH for remote
> > access.  Etc.  Not perfect, but works.
>
> Nope, dsniff breaks SSL and SSH1.

  Dsniff helps break improperly used and configured SSL and SSH.  As a
blanket statement, what you said is incorrect.  If you securely distribute
the public keys of the other machines to /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts{2}
and set StrictHostKeyChecking, you'll be fine, unless you have users who
deliberately try to circumvent security.  But that's a different problem
entirely.

  -Dave

--
work: dga@lcs.mit.edu                          me:  dga@pobox.com