Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 22:25:09 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        bpechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GPL, Jordan's article and Brett Glass

At 07:13 PM 11/18/2000, Bill Pechter wrote:

>> It has to do with the big picture. The BSD community should not be dependent
>> upon a group that seeks to snuff it out. It needs its own shells, its own
>> compilers, its own tools. Both for its own sake and for the sake of users
>> who would otherwise be locked into the FSF's software.
>>
>> - --Brett
>>

>So write them instead of whining. Or get FreeBSD to build under another
>compiler and ask for committers.

I'd be glad to. Of course, I can't devote my life to doing it alone, so I'll
need help. But with Jordan -- the nominal leader of FreeBSD -- actively
advocating FSF software and dependency upon it, will that help be available?
I'm concerned that Jordan's embrace of the FSF will be damaging not only
from a PR standpoint but because it will cause those who follow him to
make decisions that will further hurt the project.

>Meanwhile, let's be glad there's other stuff under the BSD license and
>get on with it.

If current trends continue, there will be less and less under the BSD
license as the FSF "blob" subsumes more and more utilities. FreeBSD
already uses far too many -- everything from man to gzip to groff.
Complacency will play right into the FSF's hands.

>Brett -- I usually support you -- but this time it's too far for even
>me.

There's nothing at all "too far" about this. There's more and more GPLed
code in each release of FreeBSD, and if we bury our heads in the sand
the FSF will accomplish its goal of wiping us out.

--Brett