Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 1997 20:27:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> > The actual text of the First Amendment to the Constitution reads:
> >
> > 	"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
> > 	religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; ..."
> >
> > What exactly this means varies widely from person to person.  I
> > certainly don't read this "You may not open a town meeting with a
> > prayer", but the ACLU office in Salt Lake City does.  Weird how wrong
> > they can be sometimes, isn't it?  ;^)
>
> 	whose prayer?
> 	which religion?
> 	what language?
> 	what is suitable to pray for?
>
> 	shall we vote on it :)
>
> 	what if i find 50 people that object to one of the choices above?
> 	45? 40? 30? 20? 10?
>
> 	perhaps for these reasons the ACLU does not want to allow the majority
> 	to dictate to the rest of the people.

Fortunately it's not just a question of what the ACLU wants to allow.
Contrary to popular opinion this country is not a democracy but a
constitutional republic.  Meaning that the will of the majority can not
override the constitutionally guaranteed rights of the minority.

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."
                                                             - Thomas Jefferson