Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 1995 21:29:38 -0400
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        late.e-technik.uni-erlangen.de!eilts@dg-rtp.dg.com, wollman@lcs.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: lkm programming

> > > Can anybody point me to some direction where I might get information on
> > > implementing loadable kernel modules?
> >
> > Your best bet is probably to look at the sources of the ones that
> > already exist.  Be aware that there is quite a bit of magic going on
> > with the VFS LKMs, so you should probably look at something simpler
> > like the discard driver.
> >
> The lack of any documentation regarding kernel programming is one
> of the biggest disadvantures of FreeBSD.

 You should find the text:

	"The Design and Implementation of the 4.3BSD UNIX
	 Operating System"

 by Leffler, McKusick, Karels and Quarterman; published by Addison-Wesley
 (reprinted in 1990) (ISBN 0-201-06196-1) to be an excellent start.

 However, BSD has since moved to 4.4 - so there are some changes.

 FreeBSD has also made additions (e.g. LKMs), which would not
 be covered in that text.

	- Dave Rivers -