Date:      Mon, 5 Feb 2018 10:37:40 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>, freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Looking for a Wireless NIC with 802.11ac or 802.11n support

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:01 AM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Victor Sudakov <vas@mpeks.tomsk.su>
> wrote:
>
> > Dear Colleagues,
> >
> > I'm looking for an internal Wi-Fi NIC with support for
> >
> > 1. 802.11n or better 802.11ac
> > 2. HOSTAP mode
> > 3. 5 GHz band (better both 2GHz and 5GHz).
> >
> > for an AP running FreeBSD.
> >
> > A USB NIC would do too, but a PCI-E is preferable.
> >
> > Could you please advise a good one?
> >
> > I've been told that I have a rather narrow choice between ath(4),
> > mwl(4) and ral(4) NICs. Is that correct?
> >

> I have a later model ath and it works well for 2 and 5 Ghz.  My iwm which
> supposedly supports 5 GHz doesn't work there but is okay at 2.
>
> I have no experience with HOSTAP mode.
>
> --
> Adam

My ancient Intel Centrino (iwn)  card does 11n, HOSTAP and 5G. Or, at least
it did as I have not tried HOSTAP for a few years.

Does FreeBSD even have 11AC implemented?

I DO NOT recommend it, though, except as a last resort as it has a number
of issues and has consistently regressed since FreeBSD 10. It has a really
bad time getting along with the wpa_supplicant in 11. It can take many
minutes to sync up on re-boot. It also goes "DOWN" very briefly a few times
a day, but it comes back up very quickly from these, so I may have a
hardware issue on my almost 7 year-old ThinkPad T520.
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com