Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:33:10 -0700
From:      "David Holland" <dholland@xmission.com>
To:        <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Native and Linux JDK1.2.2 repaint problems under FreeBSD3.5

The other day, I installed the Linux JDK1.2.2 port and built the native
JDK1.2.2 using the
Kee's instructions on FreeBSD-3.5-Release.

Initially, I used XFree86-4.0 (using a 3DFX Voodoo3500 AGP/TV card) and
lesstiff. I was
surprised to have horrible repaint problems with JBuilder3.  With the Linux
version, things
would only repaint under the mouse or if a window was moved over them, and
the native version
was only slightly better.  (Repaints seem to be JFC pixel based, rather than
awt peer based)

I had tried similar steps earlier with FreeBSD-4.0-(7/8 Snap) and had much
better success - with
a small redraw problem on the file menu in the Linux JDK/Native no-jit, and
a popup data dictionary
window not showing right with native and tya-jit.

Back to FreeBSD-3.5, I make deinstall XFree86-4.0, then installed
XFree86-3.x from the packages
and tried again.  XFree86-3x was noticeably better at repainting than
XFree86-4x but still bad
enough to be unusable.

Any opinions on other things I could check that may be of use to know?  I am
using just a generic
kernel.  I know others have reported success with JBuilder and FreeBSD3.5

I plan to try FreeBSD with my older G200 video card as well as trying it on
Linux.

David Holland