Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2007 13:45:50 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, extazyti@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: I have a serious problem

ExTaZyTi <extazyti@gmail.com> wrote:
 > While some days my FreeBSD (6.2-STABLE) reboots without any reason for this
 > ..
 > block the system for 10-20 seconds and then reboots..

That sounds like your system panics while you're running X,
so you cannot see the panic message.  By default, the system
reboots after 15 seconds.

There are several things that you can do in that situation.
If the panic is reproducible without X, then please try to
run the machine without X for a while, then record the
panic message.

Another way is to setup a serial console (e.g. another PC),
so the panic message will be displayed there.

You should also enable crash dumps via /etc/rc.conf, which
can provide valuable information for solving the problem.
Basically you have to add a line dumpdev="auto" to your
/etc/rc.conf file.  Please see the FreeBSD Handbook for
details.

Finally, it would be useful to have more information about
your system configuration.  If you've compiled your own
kernel (i.e. not using GENERIC or SMP), then seeing your
kernel config file would be useful.  Also a verbose boot
output is useful.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
        -- Dick Brandon