Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 11:20:42 -0800
From:      chip wiegand <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        "Arvinn Løkkebakken" <arvinn@whitebird.no>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 'FreeBSD as a Desktop' heh, heh....

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 16:43:53 +0100 (CET)
"Arvinn Løkkebakken" <arvinn@whitebird.no> wrote:

> > Greetings....
> >
> >   I don't want to revisit that controversial
> > thread of some months ago, but I'm thinking
> > of dedicating a disk to FreeBSD on a machine
> > in my home...not as a server, but for browsing,
> > word processing, mail reading, etc.
> >
> >   a.  Will a 475 Athlon be "horse" enough?

Until last week, the last 4 years of so I've been running freebsd as my
desktop, only os on the computer, on an old AMD K6-2/350 to do just what
you mention above. No problems whatsoever. Now I've finally upgraded to
a 1.33ghz machine, ,what a differance in speed!

> >   b.  I've run FBSD on 3 servers for over
> >     a year now, what's my best bet for getting
> >     X and _____ up without stomping a hole
> >     in the floor?

Install whatever you want through the ports system, then maintanance
will be much easier.

--
Chip W