Date:      Tue, 20 May 2008 11:58:03 +1000
From:      Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews@isc.org>
To:        Dave Uhring <duhring@charter.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Clifton Royston <cliftonr@lava.net>
Subject:   Re: Buildworld Fails RELENG_7

> On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 02:01:48PM -1000, Clifton Royston wrote:
> > On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:14:08PM -0500, Dave Uhring wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem is that gcc is *not* finding the file in the directory
> > > referenced by the -I cflag.  If I copy the header files to the directory
> > > where the error occurs the header file is found and used to compile the
> > > source file.
> >
> >   This starts to narrow down the problem you're having a bit, I think.
> >
> >   Given that this is different from the expected behavior and the
> > behavior others are seeing, this sounds to me like either 1) the wrong
> > compiler or version of the compiler is being found and used in place of
> > the desired gcc instance, or 2) something in your shell or environment
> > is somehow getting into the buildworld environment and causing make or
> > the inner shell to misparse the commandline to gcc.
>
> The c compiler is the one shipped with 7.0 RELEASE.  Except for the 3
> new header files that I placed from cvsupped sources into /usr/include/sys
> the entire system is 7.0 RELEASE.
>
> Prior to beginning the build I deliberately set
>
> # export CFLAGS=""

	This does NOT remove CFLAGS from the environment.

	env -i PATH=$PATH make ...

	will clear the enviornment and just add PATH.

e.g.

% env -i PATH="$PATH" SHELL="$SHELL" HOME="$HOME" printenv
PATH=/home/marka/gnu/bin:/home/marka/bin/mask:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/home/marka/bin:/usr/local/sbin
SHELL=/bin/csh
HOME=/home/marka
%