Date:      Mon, 25 May 1998 09:40:43 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        lfloyd@sonic.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Compatibility with Ultra IDE drives?

On Sun, 24 May 1998 at  3:00:52 -0500, John S. Dyson wrote:
> Doug White said:
>>
>> 2.2.5 doesn't, so you get standard old IDE without any UltraDMA
>> improvement. -CURRENT can grok UltraDMA and can give you the (supposed)
>> performance boost.
>>
> Given you have a very fast machine to start with (like a fast P5 or
> faster), bus-master DMA does help alot.  There is a very noticable
> difference in responsiveness of the system under load with the
> DMA.  I actually wasn't convinced until I mistakenly built a system
> without the DMA, and noticed that it was somehow "slow."

I was recently rather astonished with the performance of modern IDE
drives, and spent some time comparing the time for a  'make world' on
a K6/233 with 96 MB of memory.  Here are the results for an IBM DORS
SCSI drive with an Adaptec 2940 host adaptor, and an IBM DHEA IDE
drive with normal and Ultra DMA:

Disk		Elapsed		User		System

DORS		126m22.811s	66m2.051s	16m28.411s
DHEA		124m54.116s	65m3.465s	18m50.257s
DHEA/Ultra	111m21.743s	66m24.344s	18m37.329s

Greg