Date:      Tue, 15 Jul 1997 09:37:13 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jhay@mikom.csir.co.za, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPX routing?

> I've looked ayt the Linux code and it seems to me that they
> just allow the applied software to  decide which encapsulation
> type to use: they just fill the full IPX header (that includes
> Ethernet header) in user-level software rather than in driver.
> It would be not bad to make the IPX implementation more
> Linux-like so it would be easy to port Netware emulators.

If this is true, then they are not doing full 802.3 encapsulation
for 802.3.  If this code is not special cased to be IPX specific
(it would seem to me that it could not be, if their IPX is in
user space), then their 802.3 implementation is not useful for
802.3 packets other than IPX.  This is because the IPX packets
are only partially encapsulated (Novell misunderstood the 802.3
encapsulation requirements, and never corrected their implementation).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.