Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 22:45:08 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@whistle.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc/g++ 2.8.1 port maintainers/modifiers

> The brain damage is in bsd.prog.mk:
>
> ] .if defined(DESTDIR)
> ] CFLAGS+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include
> ] CXXFLAGS+= -I${DESTDIR}/usr/include/g++
> ] .end
>

> Obviously, I have DESTDIR defined (in fact, it is required).

Aha.  Well, I'm glad you figured out the problem.

> The bug is that the DESTDIR is examined, incorrectly, for
> include path information.  This is because there is no
> seperation between the idea of installed binaries vs.
> installed build environment components.
>
> Therefore, the includes are redirected into the install
> environment, instead of the build environment.

Yes, various things have been tried.  The top-level Makefile and
bsd.*.mk files are more of an art than a science.  The current scheme
was a big step forward from what we had before.  It made it possible
to build -current on a -stable system, for instance.  But I don't
think anybody would argue that it's perfect.

John