Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 21:37:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>
To:        Thor Legvold <tlegvold@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More mpd-netgraph questions

Thor Legvold writes:
> The "default" connection speed seems to be 64000 bps according to the log.
> The manual states you don't need to set anything regarding bandwidth or
> speed unless you're on an asynchronous dialup (modem, etc). I'm on a 11Mbs
> wireless WAN, and would like to know if and how I should configure (set link
> bandwidth foo).

Just ignore these settings.. unless you're doing multi-link PPP they
don't have any effect on anything.

> broken (Linux PoPToP), or is the documentation wrong?  I'm not really clear
> on the difference between the "set ipcp ranges" and "set pptp peer" and "set
> pptp self" commands - could anyone give a hint or two?

First, make sure you understand that PPTP is a tunnelling protocol..
that is, it acts just like a modem -- so you can run PPP over it --
but instead of telephone wires it uses IP packets.

So each packet has an "outside" IP address (the real one) and
an "inside" IP address (the one negotiated by the PPP stuff;
often these are non-routable addresses).

"set ipcp ranges" configures the "inside" IP address(es) while
"set pptp self" and "set pptp peer" configure the outside IP addresses.

"ifconfig ng0" (or whatever interface you're using) will show
the 'inside' IP addresses. Your "outside" IP address will be on
some other interface already configured before PPTP is set up.

Make sure the peer's inside and outside addresses are different,
otherwise you get an infinite loop.

-Archie