Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 17:22:03 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        Michael Conlen <meconlen@obfuscated.net>, Matthew Rudderham <matt@cape-breton-island.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What Are Standard Procedures For System Backup

On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 03:05:27AM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> In order to "dump" EVERYTHING on a hard drive to a file,  what command needs
> to be used ??  I looked at "man dump" & the handbook section on backup but
> neither provides much help ... nothing of consequence in the mailing list
> archives either.

I am not sure what you can't find in the docs.

  # dump -0af /path/to/dump/file /filesystem

Should dump eveything on the /filesystem to the file named. You can
then move that file to wherever you want to keep it using whatever
means you feel most comfortable. OTOH, if you want to pipe the file
straight to another machine using, say, SSH,

  # dump -0af - /filesystem | ssh -f another-machine "cat > /path/to/dump/file"

I am not sure what is missing from the docs.