Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 20:54:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        EEYRCR@een1.eee.nott.ac.uk (Chris Roberts)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting CD ROM Drives

> Hi,
>     I am a new user of FreeBSD (and any type of UNIX for that matter)
> and have a question about mounting my cdrom.  When logged in as root,
> I can mount the cdrom drive with the following command.
>
>     # mount -t cd9660 -o ro /dev/wcd0a /cdrom
>
>     And this seems to work fine.  If I then log off and log in as
> another user (which is the first one I've ever made, so I probably
> did it wrong) and type the same command, I get an error message,
> something along the lines of 'Permission Denied'.  Do I have to give
> the new user permission to read the drive or something?  I have made
> the user a member of the wheel group but that didn't help!

Coorrect.  Only root can mount any type of drive.  Since UNIX can be a
server, you can have users telnetting into it from accross the country.
You wouldn't want them to be able to mount your CDrom!

About wheel, the user needs to be in the group wheel in order to 'su' to
root.  This is the only way you should ever login as root.  Login as
yourself, and type 'su' at the shell prompt.  This is also a securty
mesure.

>     Any Ideas?
>
>     Thanks, Chris Roberts

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.