Date:      Sat, 18 Apr 1998 10:37:29 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@apc.net>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fed up with PPP

> Ok, I started term, I dialed (ATDT9300502), and, .... nothing.  It sits
> there for about a minute, then I get
>
> Annex Command Line Interpreter   *   (C) Bay Networks yea yea yea yea yea.....
> Checking authorization, Please wait...
> Annex username: dima
> Annex password:
> #-------------------
> #Welcoeme to Accesspoint yea yea yea,.......
>
> ~p
> ppp ON zsever> Entering packet mode
>

> and it just sits there.  I don't know if I'm supposed to enter packet mode,
> but, without it, it'll sit there anyways.  I've tried entering packet mode
> BEFORE the Annex Command Line, but it has no affect and just sits there.

You could try typing ``set log local lcp ipcp'' *before* entering `term'.
When you ~p, you should then see the LCP and IPCP requests being
fired at your ISP.  either they're not responding at all (hopefully,
this isn't the case - if it is, you'll need to contact them and find
out what magic is supposed to be done on your end), or negotiations
are failing.  If you also  ``set log lcp ipcp'' (without the `local')
you should get the information logged in /var/log/ppp.log.  Post the
failed negotiations and we should be able to help.

> Please help :-)
> Dima
[.....]
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;