Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:41:38 -0300
From:      Alejandro Pulver <alepulver@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   nvidia.ko kernel panic after upgrade to 6.0

--Sig_nGhrfISxeGZz.9H7J/vGUb7

Hello.

I have upgraded my two identical (same CPU and motherboard) machines
from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.0 (cvs tag RELENG_6_0). Both of them have NVidia
video cards. One has a GeForce 4 MX 440 w/AGP8X and the other a GeForce
6600.

I upgraded the system as described in the handbook and after that I
rebuilt all the installed ports.

On the machine which has the GeForce 6600 everything works fine, but in
the other machine there are two problems. Strangely in the machine that
works fine the problem #1 happened only once.

1) The first time the module was built (after upgrading to 6.0) when X
started the system and screen frozen after 3 seconds. This didn't stop
happening.

2) After rebuilding the nvidia-driver port the system crashes (kernel
panic) when it tries to load the kernel module to complete the
installation of the port. It outputs the following messages (sometimes
one and sometimes the other), followed by some information and kernel
dump progress:

panic: softdep_setup_inomapdep: found inode
[...]

Fatal trap 18: integer divide fault while in kernel mode
[...]

The second error is the same as the one the working machine outputted
when I tried to load the 5.4 kernel module into the 6.0 kernel.

If I copy the nvidia module from the working machine, problem #2 gets
solved, but problem #1 happens.

What can I do?

If you need more information just ask.

Thanks and Best Regards,