Date:      Thu, 4 Jul 2002 13:04:47 +0530
From:      Devdas Bhagat <devdas@worldgatein.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [OT] ISP anti-spam

On 04/07/02 10:48 +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> There seems to be a movement among ISPs to "help" us by applying spamassasin
> (or similar) to all mail they handle - IN or OUT.
> Is this an invasion of privacy?
If they state this in their terms of service, I guess they are letting
you know about it. Plus, you should be encrypting most of your mail
anyway.

> Is such behaviour dangerous, in suggesting to political control freaks that
> Internet Control is possible and desirable?
Hmmm, think of it this way: We are trying to rein in the anti-social
elements. Is it better to get rid of spammers via social engineering
means, or via legislation banning spamming? I prefer the first, the
second lets the Internet be regulated in potentially nasty ways, by even
more clueless people. If your ISP admin is clueless, OTOH, then you have
big problems.

> Would it be MUCH better for all users to be encouraged to use spam filters,
> if they wish?
If we had clued up users, yes. But rejecting spam at the gateway (even
before it hits spamassassain) is much cheaper. We routinely reject
50-60% of inbound mail, and I get about 5 to 7 false positives in a
week.
It saves some amount of bandwidth for us, plus reduces load on the mail
server. Also, 95% of users tend to leave mail on the mail server (even
when we provide pop access, they find webmail easier). So this saves
disk space as well. And customer support requests here have dropped wrt
spam in their inbox (people don't just apply filters even when given
that option, they ask us to block senders).

> What do people think on these and related issues?
Hey, if you want all your spam, get your own domain and tell your ISP
not to filter for your domain.

(wishing that my parents ISP would put up some spam blocks and
spamassassain instead of putting up an antivirus -- Linux isn't much
affected by viruses, but spam is a DoS on the mailbox).

Devdas Bhagat