Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 1995 01:23:32 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        lutz@muc.de (Lutz Albers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Adding New Hard Drives: A Major Complaint

As Lutz Albers wrote:

> -sysinstall and libdisk are an entirely different thing.  But believe
> -it or not, all of us still use the terrible interface, except for a
> -fresh installation...
>
> Then, if you don't mind, please give us the magic incarnations you need to
> tame this awful two-headed beast (fdisk/disklabel).

I generally ignore fdisk(8) entirely, since i don't know what a DOS
partition is. :-)

I setup a disktab entry, where the most important figure is the su#
capability, telling the exact number of sectors the new disk has.
(This number is announced at boot time.)  The remaining "geometry"
values are garbage anyway.  Once su# is there, you can probably use
pom(6) or random(4) to determine them... :) Finally, the disktab entry
needs to be partitioned, according to the intented use of the disk.
The `c' partition must start at offset 0, and extend to the very last
block (su# - 1).

Then, i run

	disklabel -r -w -B sdXX mydisktablabel

This usually gives a single "bad magic" warning for the first time.

Finally, run newfs for all file systems.  Ignore all warnings about
``disagrees with disklabel'' (pre-2.1 newfs version), or about
unallocated sectors (well, that's more serious, but for a 2-gig disk,
i usually don't care about a lost megabyte).

Poor BIOS-dependant users have to care for fdisk(8) as well.  Use the
same "geometry" as other systems on the same disk would use.  Invent
ficticuous ending sector/head/cylinder numbers if your BSD slice
extends beyond the reach of BIOS.  63/15/1023 for example.  No
guarantee on this part, i think it's more than a year ago that i've
had to setup a disk that was to be shared with other systems.

Of course, for bootable disks, all that less than ficticuous cylinder
1024 mess applies.

--
cheers, J"org