Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 12:50:31 -0600
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nfsd/ypserv die on smp

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> [011121 12:40] wrote:
> * Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp> [011121 08:02] wrote:
> > Dear Folks,
> > I am running R4.4 on dual P3/1GHz PC box. The box is meant to be the
> > file server and nis server in my network.  In these weeks, I am observing
> > very funny things on this box.
> >
> > The problem is that, as stated in the Subject line, nfsd and ypserv die
> > on this smp box.
> > (1) When I started running R4.3, I noticed ypserv dies within a few days,
> > while nfsd dies very rarely.  `lastcomm ypserv' returns "-SFX" mark.
> > (2) Now, on R4.4, nfsd die often.  `lastcomm nfsd' also returns the
> > same.
> > #  Yesterday, I invoked nfsd with `-u -t -n 16', but now only 9
> > of them are alive.
>
> I think there's some weirdness in either the nfsd userland or kernel
> code that makes "max startups" limited to 8 or so.  The nfsds probably
> didn't die, they just never started up.  Can you test to see what
> happens right away if you issue -n 16?

Hmm, that limit actually seems to be '20' not '8', so ok, any log
messages you can find?  Any "funny" admins?  Did you restart
services?  It sort of seems like at least in 4.4 that there's
about two places where nfsd can exit(3), odd though...

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3