Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 16:12:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makign web pages load fast

> I have been running Apache for several months, however, I need to improve
> the performance of Apache. I want my web pages to load as fast as Yahoo! web
> pages. Also, I 'need t o track the hits per pages in my server.

First, how do you measure "fast".  Are you measuring the wall-clock time
that a page and all its consituants take to load?  From where?

I imagine you aren't talking about loading the pages locally.  This is usually
faster since no communication links are used.  And when you are measuring
foreign load times one needs to consider network topology.

If I load a page off Yahoo from a site which is linked via an OC3 line to
Yahoo, load times will be minimal.  If we are talking 40 hops from site foo
to Yahoo, some of these using routers from the 1940's then things will be
much slower.  So to get any meaningful help here, I think you should clarify
the environment you are using to measure performance.

Some general guidelines can be offered for speeding up access.  Most of which
fall under the category of limiting the amount of data transferred.  Given
X bytes of data, I don't see apache taking considerably longer than Yahoo.
I don't believe that Yahoo is a single machine, so having N servers will
make Yahoo faster.  On the other hand, you probably don't have 6000 people
pounding on your machine.  For the record, I run apache and am quite happy
with its performance.

Hits for a page can be tracked by grepping the apache log files, then using
wc.  If you want to track an entire tree, I would write a perl script to
count the hits.  This is a good use for associative arrays.
	page[url]++

Jon Doran